Sunday, December 27, 2009

Advice on making life easier cope with? I seem to get terribly stressed sometimes.?

I handle stress badly. I get sick sometimes: nauseous, light-headed, and like my throat is closing in. I get headaches a lot. My doctor said stress is part of it. My mom has made phone calls to get me a psychologist, we haven鈥檛 heard back yet. I know it鈥檚 good, but I think when it鈥檚 time to go, I鈥檒l get myself all worked up over it and not want to go. Yesterday when I was crying, my mom said that I place too high of standards on myself. I鈥檓 recognizing that but I don鈥檛 know how to lower my standards. I know I can鈥檛 be perfect but I think I need to be closer to it. When I do something wrong or even get mad at someone, often I end up crying. I鈥檓 slacking off in school and my past straight A鈥檚 are B鈥檚 and a C. I鈥檝e been doing badly on my test and copying homework. It feels like with most things, I know what is going to happen if I don鈥檛 act, but I still do nothing and end up freaking out when I can鈥檛 avoid the situation. I have some great friends, but I don鈥檛 think I fit in with them. They are the overachievers of the school; I鈥檓 a shy arty emotional kid, it鈥檚 like we don鈥檛 see the world the same way; its hard to communicate how I feel to them. I was depressed and self-harmed, I haven鈥檛 done that in a while; I think about it sometimes.Advice on making life easier cope with? I seem to get terribly stressed sometimes.?
When I read your question, it was almost as if I had written it. I was where you are now - my life was consumed with performing every task I undertook as close to perfection as possible and I believed that my value as a person was tied into my ability to achieve it. The stress was always present and in my quest for perfection, all of the things I was suppose to do kept piling up. It got to the point that instead of working, I would just run away from it all, literally frozen and unable to do anything. I would burst into tears, my throat would close and there were days that I simply could not get out of bed.


I finally got myself to a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with major depression and adult attention deficit disorder. With therapy and medication, I am much, much better.


Please get help as soon as you can. All of the things that you are feeling - the need for perfection, the feelings of overwhelming stress, the panic attacks (the throat closing, etc.), the avoidance behaviors - are symptoms of depression and also could be symptoms related to undiagnosed ADD (females with ADD often present with different symptoms than males). I noticed that your mom did call for a psychologist but you really shouldn't wait too long for a call-back. If your doctor cannot recommend someone, go to the AMA website doctor finder section and search for a psychiatrist in your area. If you begin to experience severe stress, go immediately to the nearest hospital for help and they will direct you to someone who can help you. That's what I did and it saved my life.


Please take care of yourself. Know that there are many of us who understand what you are going through. For myself, I can only hope that knowing it can get better gives you some measure of comfort and the strength to do whatever is necessary to get the medical treatment you need.Advice on making life easier cope with? I seem to get terribly stressed sometimes.?
have you considered that it might be your diet ? you dont have to be over weight when eating wrong,like too much sugar or caffeine .
Remember. We are all people and no matter what, there are billions of others. There is nothing but people people people. And if a B means above average, than guess what?


You're above the average of millions and millions of people.


I deal with anxiety sometimes too but I just want to remind you that it will pass with time, by the way it sounds you must still be in high school. We have too little time to enjoy this whole being a teenager thing than to worry about life now. Time is passing, your life is going away. Live it up while you still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment