Sunday, December 27, 2009

Advice on my life...?

I'm sure someone out there has a dilemma similar to mine. I don't know I need someones input. So I'm 20, I moved out when I was 18, and just recently moved in with my dad to save up some money. I work and go to school full time, which is stressful. However I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but my dad just adds to my stress. He dictates my life, and I don't think he means too, but he does. He tries to make all my decisions for me. For example: I'm going to school for business, and I'm having a change in heart. I really want to go to school for culinary. I love cooking and I know it's what I want to do with my life. However when I told him that I was going to change my major he got all pissed off at me. Saying that it's not a future and that I'm not smart if I do that. Then he goes into his whole life story, about how he wishes he would have finished going to school for business, and this and that. Even after me telling him my plans, he still goes on about how great things will be once I have my degree (in business). You know I might be able to understand if he was paying for my school, but he's not. Don't get me wrong he does help me every now and then, especially when times get really tough. However, the only way I accept anything from him is when I have absolutely no other option. Because if I accept I will never hear the end of it. He can just be so controlling. I don't know how to deal with this anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!Advice on my life...?
Perhaps you could minor in Business and major in Culinary. Eventually, cooking would become a business for you (a source of income), so learning marketing skills, bookkeeping, how to do a spreadsheet, management strategies, etc. may be useful. Research some of the ones who've been successful in Culinary Arts (like, say, Julia Child), then use this information to show your dad you know what you are doing. Tell him to have faith in you.





Your dad is perhaps trying to live vicariously through your successes, which is not unusual for parents (I did it a bit to my daughter when she was alive). If you just quietly do what your heart is telling you, what would change, really? You'd still have the same funding, the course hours would be similar, and you'd be pursuing something you truly enjoy. Besides, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, I'm told...so cook your way into his heart (lol). He stands to benefit from being your ';guinea pig'; for recipes you may wish to try. Keep a sense of humor...dads can usually be swayed by their daughters.Advice on my life...?
I would go to cooking school and major in business and tell him you someday want to open your own business I hope that helps but you live with him you are going to have to put up with him and he is playing father knows best there is no changing that
why not major in business in minor in culinary arts. If you love culinary the Business education that you also have will help you if you want to run or own a restaurant.
Sit down with dad and let him know you love him but that this is your decision and you hope he'll understand that this is what you love doing. I'm sure he loves you and wants you to make the best decison according to his ';light';.
Just do what you want, when something good comes from your decisions you can put it in his face and maybe do a little dance.
Move out.

No comments:

Post a Comment