Friday, April 30, 2010

Mid-life crisis at 21!! Advice needed...?

I am currently in the final year of my law degree, and have been studying externally and working in a law firm for the past 2 years or so. However, I have just come to realise that perhaps being a ';lawyer'; is not actually what I want to do with my life, and that I don't want to work in a firm forever (or at all). I went to Uni straight after school and don't want to be stuck in this rut forever. I want to get out, travel and be young while I still am!! Is this just a culmination of the stress I am under with study etc, or should I perhaps be pursuing other options outside of law. Any advice woudl be greatly appreciated - particularly from those who have changed professions, or faced major life decisions and believe they ended up making the right choice.Mid-life crisis at 21!! Advice needed...?
A couple of points: 1) think about other things you can apply your knowledge to. For instance, you might not want to be a lawyer, but maybe you can get a position in a Contracts role at a company. My company has a contracts manager who supports our dealings with our international customers, which affords him many opportunities for international travel (this could satisfy your apparent need to see the world). 2) if you put off getting into the workforce for a number of years, it will put you that much further away from being able to afford retirement and doing a lot of things that you want to do but might not be able to afford to do today. No pressure, but you wind up stepping off the advancement curve and really don't have an opportunity to catch up. See point #1 above. That is my real advice.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment