Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm 16 years old, and I'm a dropout. I'm not sure how I will make it in life, give me some advice?

So we can get this out of the way; I dropped out of school because of family issues, and I didn't do my work.


Obviously signs of somebody who isn't going to be a dedicated worker right?


Well the thing I enjoy physical things, and I can't just sit there and do desk work.


I don't have enough credits to graduate no matter what I do at this point (credit recovery, or continuing high school normally).


I'm going to take the GED test, after taking some GED prep classes.


I'm wondering if theirs anyway that I can get a good job with a GED, or am I hopeless?





At times I feel like I just want to end my life because of all the pressure built up and how much everyone expects of me, I feel like a huge let down to my family.


Obviously suicide shouldn't even be a choice for me to contemplate, but I do...


My intention was to graduate and take some chemical engineering classes, but I ruined it for myself.





So once again, any hope for this lost teen?I'm 16 years old, and I'm a dropout. I'm not sure how I will make it in life, give me some advice?
You did not ruin it for yourself. You may have presented yourself with more challenges, but keep going through them one at a time.





I would start by getting your GED. While studying for that, it may help to study some sort of skill trade on your own. You mentioned you like physical labor more than sitting behind a desk, so you simply have to decide what exactly you want to do while you prepare yourself for college.





My recommendation would be to find a small auto repair facility and talk to the owner about a job changing oil and doing other maintenance work. Many garages will pay their oil change technician decently if he ends up showing them what a good worker he is. You might not get paid much to start, especially only being 16.





From there, your writing and communication skills may prove valuable and you might consider working as a service advisor. A service advisor for a garage can make some decent money. While this is going on, be sure to save money so you can afford to go back to college. Set a strict budget that allows for quite a bit of recreational activities, but also allows for you to put a certain percentage or amount into a separate savings account for your college.





Decide from there whether it would be worth taking out college loans for your college or whether you want to work at it a little at a time. However, that goal is a few years down the road.





I'm 31 and going back to school starting on Saturday. I was out of high school for about 7 years before I went back to college to finish. Do I look back and wish I did it differently? Yes. I am, however, proud of the fact that I went back, worked hard, and got somewhere.





You have a lot to look forward to. Break your long-term goals down to smaller, short-term goals. (Get a GED, Find a job where you can save money a little at a time, move up at that job and save more money, start a class at a community college to get some of the core requirement classes out of the way....etc. etc.) Eventually, you will see these goals getting crossed off your list and see, very concretely, where you are headed and where you have gone.





Keep it going. I wish the best for you.





MattI'm 16 years old, and I'm a dropout. I'm not sure how I will make it in life, give me some advice?
All is not lost, you can still fix it. Don't give up, you sound like you have a decent grasp of the situation that you are in, and you are starting to put together a plan to make things ok. So that's good. Follow through on your plan. Get that GED. First and foremost. You NEED at least a GED if you ever want to support yourself. You can get a good job with a GED. Why don't you just set some reachable goals for yourself, and work towards them. Write them down, and whenever you feel hopeless look at the list, and think about what you need to do to achieve the goals. Nothing worth anything is ever easy, so don't be afraid to work hard to achieve them. Get that GED. You can do it. You are only 16. You have your whole life ahead of you!
Just the fact that you can actually use good grammar, spelling and punctuation is a good sign that you can make it in life. Look at all the other people here on this site about your age, they can't even spell simple words! lol. And there's always hope, no matter what (you learn that in psychology class in college).





You could also try one of those mail-in high school diploma things. They cost about $300 though. It's how I got mine. Either way a GED is still as good as a diploma, as long as you pass it good you should be fine.
i dropped out at 15 didnt go back to school til i was 17 at a continuation school and still graduated on time. its not impossible and i was a senior with freshmen credits and still did it. and a GED is exacly like a diploma but now adays depending where you're from you cant survive with just a GED or a diploma you need college to get a good job now. there's hope u just need the motivation!!! im 21 now and goin to start back up college in the fall hope this helps
First of all nothing is hopeless or ruined!!! You are only 16, you have nothing but time ahead of you...I know from where you're sitting it seems like an insurmountable situation but it only seems that way...get your GED like you planned and look into classes at your local community college..as long as you have a GED you should be able to get in...you may have to take some prep classes before starting work on a degree..it may take longer but it's worth it...once you have an AA or AS you can apply to a University and pursue engineering or whatever you choose..ten years from now NOONE will care or ask if you have a diploma or GED as long as you recover and get on your right path now...remember while your in the middle of a situation like this it can seem bigger than your ability to handle it but I've always believed Life is a series of lessons and learning experiences...people learn at different paces so be more forgiving and patient with yourself..most things take some practice before you perfect them...Suicide is not an answer just a trip straight back to the beginning where you have to start all over again..sounds exhausting to me giving up all I've learned and having to go through all the ups and downs again...just hang in there because I promise you nothing lasts forever...I know it's a cliche but it is true that ';THIS TOO SHALL PASS';...I also think you should find someone you trust to talk too..if you can't talk to any family or close friends...try a psychologist or maybe clergyman..just let someone know how your feeling so you don't feel so isolated wtih this problem...if nothing else just know that we are all connected and you are not alone!!!
Honestly I find school is just a waste of time I dropped out before I got anything from it and started a level 5 computer engineering diploma which Ive nearly finished and they didn't ask for anything from school. Your better off doing a course (The people there are allot better then at school.. F**KEN HATE school). Theres probably plenty of courses out there that involve chemical engineering of some sort so have a look around on the net or something!!

No comments:

Post a Comment